Dispute Resolution & Arbitration
Our disputes resolution team has extensive experience, including representing clients in domestic and international matters, ranging from relatively simple contract disputes to high value and high profile cross border matters. We represent clients at all levels of courts in Latvia. We also have experience as arbitrators in Latvia.
- Representation of one of Big Four accounting firms in litigation related to alleged professional negligence in auditing of Latvian licensed bank and reporting to regulatory institutions resulting in favourable settlement for client.
- Successful representation of Latvian private individuals in a number of multi-jurisdictional damage claims in relation to matters before courts outside of Latvia, including the Commercial Court of London.
- Acting for the state energy monopoly AS “Latvenergo” on a major tax dispute.
- Representing 4finance in major tax litigation on tax treatment of donations made to not-to-profit organizations.
- Acting for AS “Pasažieru vilciens” (Passenger Rail) in a public procurement dispute with Huyndai related to procurement of new passenger trains.
- Acting for AS “Seesam Insurance” Latvia branch on insurance disputes including a dispute over policy interpretation and building designer liability.
- Recognition of a number of foreign court and arbitration decisions in Latvia, including asset freezing orders.
- Acting as arbitrator in an insurance dispute between a Latvian insurance company and a French insurance broker.
Disputes on insurance, competition and regulatory, real estate and construction, tax, IT and telecommunications, energy and other regulated sectors
- Legal representation in civil and administrative court proceedings
- Ensuring efficient communication and joint approach with foreign law firms in cross border disputes
- Preliminary assessment as to viability and cost effectiveness of claim or defence
- Draft demands, claims, legal opinions
- White collar crime defence work
- Settlement negotiations and agreements
- Debt collection
- Public procurement appeals
- Tax disputes
- Securing claims